Fuerteventura is the second largest of the Canary Islands behind Tenerife. It is located 15km South of Lanzarote and together they form the archipelago’s eastern figurehead. Only 100 km separate these two islands from the African coast, practically the same distance as between Fuerteventura and Gran Canaria.
To the north of the island, in the Bocayna Channel that separates Fuerteventura from Lanzarote, lies the small island of Los Lobos, whose name recalls the seal colonies that used to inhabit the coasts.
Fuerteventura, including the island of Los Lobos, covers 1731 square km. It forms an elongated silhouette in the sea: 100 km separate Corralejo, in the extreme North, form the southernmost cape, the Punta de Jandia, whilst the island’s average width is only twenty kilometres.
The north and the south of the island were separated long ago, until they were joined by volcanic eruptions. The isthmus that was formed is called ‘La Pared’ (The wall), owing to the fact that it was once closed by a wall dividing the properties of two island lords, the remains of which may still be seen. The central zone is a vast hollow plateau formed by the plains of La Antigua.
In ancient times, Fuerteventura was known as Planaria, in reference to the plains’ predominance over the mountains.
Despite this there are several mountains of interest. The Atalaya stands out in the north, at 726m above sea level, and in the south the Pico de Jandia is the highest point on the island at 807m.